Monday

Looking beyond the edge of the board

Sunday I went paddleboarding through the serene Venetian Causeway. My instructor was an electrical engineer who now paddleboards and kiteboards for a living. He's really zen. He's grateful. He's a joy to be around. He tells us if we stare at the tip of the board, we will fall off, but if we look where we want to go we will figure out a way to get there. The immediacy of trying to balance with varying currents and wind becomes less important if you focus ahead, not down. 

Yesterday I stood up and a wave hit me from behind, and I fell off. The biggest issue was that I was focused on the tip of my board and the unexpected wave, not on the houses, the incredible scenery, enjoying my friends, or the abundance around me. I was worried about the tip of my board heading under water. So I fell in. And believe it or not, the cool water was refreshing, not scary. I climbed back up on my board (ungracefully at that). I stopped looking at the tip. If it went underwater or there were some crazy currents, I kept staring at the lavish boats and gardens ahead and around me. I didn't worry about change in water or wind, I focused on getting to the next yacht, past the next bridge or closer to the next building. I waved at the boaters. At the end of the paddle, I sat crosslegged on the board and got back to shore when the waves were rough. I didn't fall off again. I just looked ahead to the shore and paddled my way in.

My sweet instructor almost fell off too. He has many years of experience and rockstar balance. He shrugged it off. "It's the best when I fall off, students get a real kick out of it," he said.  Here is someone reveling in his imperfection and the lack of seriousness of the situation. Talk about being present and enjoying life, whatever it brings.

I realized that if I just kept my eye on where I wanted to go it would be ok. It didn't matter if my paddle was perfect or if I was standing or kneeling or sitting. If I fell in again, I would get up again. That's just what we have to do. I'm not drowning, I'm just going through the process of getting where I want to go. I just have to look past the end of the board and not wallow in the current situation, but rather think about what wonders, abundance, and currents life brings.

It's wonderful. I've seen it by looking ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment